Tutorial Connecting Jands Vista2 with MXWendler via Art-Net
In this tutorial we will connect Jands Vista2 (we are using the software on a Windows PC) to an MXWendler media server. We will be able to control the media server via Art-Net. If you are not using a Jands console, install Jands Vista2 on the computer that you want to use as controller.
Import the MXWendler Fixture in the Jands Fixture Editor
- Launch Vista2 Fixture Type Editor (standalone program, installed with Vista2) or load it trough Vista2:
- Menu → Patch → Fixture Editor...
- Select 'User Fixture Library' then:
- Menu → Fixture → Import Fixture
- the fixture personality is in the MXW installation folder e.g.
- C:\Program Files (x86)\MXWendlerStageDESIGNER50\DMX\Personalities\Jands\MXW\MXW.Vannetti 2014\MXW 5.0 One Video Layer.fix2
The Fixture is ready to be loaded and used on Vista2
Configuration of the MXWendler Media Server
- Open MXWendler and activate the following options:
- Menu → Settings → Input and Output → DMX/Art-Net
- (A) Art-Net connection
- (B) CITP
- (C) Fixture Mode
- Select the desired number of layers in
- (D) Layer Count
- The media server and the device running Vista2 need to be connected to the same network. eg.
- Our media server's IP is
- (E) 192.168.4.91,
- Our controlling devices's IP is 192.168.4.32.
Windows: in case your computer has more network interfaces be sure to select the correct one. Apple: system will listen on all network interfaces.
- Load the DMX Mappings:
- Settings → IO → DMX/Midi/Keyboard Events →
- (A) DMX
- (B) Load eg. C:\Program Files (x86)\MXWendlerStageDESIGNER50\DMX\Personalities\Jands\MXW\MXWendlerDMXmappings
- Load the file with the desired number of Layers to control. If you want to control 16 layers with Vista2 load the file
- (C) MXW_16_Layers.dmxmappings
- Restart MXWendler
Configuration of Vista2
- Open Vista2 and set the Art-Net Connection:
- (A) Connect Universes
- In the new DMX Connections window, set the DMX Universe to 1 and
- (B) Add Network Connection (Universe 1)
- (C) Add
- Select the MXW Fixture Type. One fixture corresponds to one Layer:
- (D) MXW 5.0 One Video Layer
- (E) Quantity of layers'
- (F) Patch
Import the media server thumbnails via CITP
- Set up the CITP Footage Library on the media server. How to download and assign media server thumbnails:
- Import footage thumbnails
- (A) Menu → Patch → Import Media Server Thumbnails
- (B) Import Thumbnails
- (C) Left click on the loaded Fixture Type, select Use Custom Media
- Choose the thumbnails directory, eg. Windows: ...\Documents\Vista Data\UserName\Images\MediaServerThumbnails and select → MXWendler Mediaserver
- Additional sources:
- Basic settings instructions can be found in the MXW installation folder:
- eg. C:\Program Files (x86)\MXWendlerStageDESIGNER50\DMX\Personalities\Jands\MXW -> readme.txt