Tutorial How to Setup a Datapath Fx4 for MXWendler with the Wall Designer Software
March 2018, with MXWendler version 5 and Datapath Wall Designer.
More documentation on the Wall Designer can be found at: https://www.datapath.co.uk/multi-display-products/wall-designer-software
- Datapath Fx4 Wall Controller:
- With some of the newest FXServer hardware configurations,
- one or more wall controllers could be included.
- The device we chose for this tutorial is the Datapath Fx4
- Datapath Wall Designer software:
- The Wall Designer software can be downloaded at:
- (If you got an Fx4 unit with an FXServer the software will probably already be installed and the device already configured for your needs)
- 4 Output devices (monitors or projectors) supporting 1080p on 60 Hz
- (those are needed just to see the final result, the setup can be done also without output devices)
Connect the Fx4 to the Computer for the Setup
Connecting the Fx4 Wall Controller to your computer is very simple:
- (A) Connect the power cable.
- (B) Connect a DisplayPort cable to the DisplayPort input of the Fx4 and to the desired output of your graphic card.
- We highly recommend to use a good quality cable for this connection, a sufficient amount of bandwidth is fundamental for a multi display configuration.
- For our installations we use Club 3D DP 1.4 8k cables.
- (C) Connect the USB cable to the Fx4 and to your computer.
- (D) Turn on the Fx4 and the computer.
Setup Wall Designer
If is not already Installed on your computer, please install the Wall Designer application.
Run Wall Designer.
The first tab is there to configure the monitor setup.
- We are going to use a standard 4x1080p structure in 16/9 as example
- (A) Choose (Projector) and 1920x1080 in the Monitor Selection area.
- (B) The four displays have to be set up to form a 16/9 rectangle.
- (C) Check the Monitor Properties:
- Projector, 1920x1080, 60Hz. (We are not going to use any Bezel setting for this tutorial)
- (D) Click on Add Monitors to Wall.
In the second tab we will define the input.
- (A) Click on Create under Inputs.
- (B) Insert 3840 in Resolution Width and 2160 in Resolution Height.
- Check that the Refresh Rate is 60 Hz
The third tab is Device, here we will send the information to the Wall Controller. The following step will determine a Display Re-scan, all the monitors will probably turn black for some seconds.
- (A) Click on Fx4 under Auto-Configure Devices.
- The Fx4 is configured. By opening the Windows Display Settings, you should be able to see a 4k display on the side of your main display.
Save Layout File
A monitor layout can be saved and loaded again when needed.
- (A) Click on Floppy disc icon on the right of the Wall Designer interface.
- Assign the desired name to the composition and click on save.
Connect the Output Devices to the Fx4
Now your output devices (displays or projectors) can be connected to the Wall controller.
- According to the configuration the following connection scheme has to be followed:
- HDMI Input 1: Upper-Left display
- HDMI Input 2: Upper-Right display
- HDMI Input 3: Lower-Left display
- HDMI Input 4: Lower-Right display
An output window can now be placed on the four displays:
- To configure the FXServer output window please check the following link: